About Me

My photo
Most of us are observers, I choose to write about what I see.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Maytag Repair Man Came out of Retirement for Me!!

On Friday, the Maytag repair man made his third visit to my house in as many weeks. It seems that he came outof retirement just for me. You see, I have a Maytag gas range, which is just over a year old.

My gas range with the manual range-top burner controls, was having issues with its computerized oven controls. The control board just one day went black. Allll Black. No electric green LED clock giving you the time, no high pitched beeps when you touched the slick key pad to set the oven temperature,nothing, just nothing at all.

When the Maytag repair man came for his first visit, he pulled the stove out from the wall, took the electronic component off the back of the stove, and said, "uh huh".

"Uh huh"? I repeated, "uh huh". Well what's the problem? Can you fix it?

"This is a pretty common problem with these ranges".

"Really"!

"oh, yeah, it happens all the time".

He taps something into his laptop computer and tells me that he's ordered a new part.

"When it comes in, give us a call and set up an appointment for me to come back."

Then off he goes. Two weeks later he's back. He installs the part, and in about 30 minutes he's gone. Great! Now I can use the oven.

Four days later, I notice that the LED green time clock is about an hour and a half off from the LED time clock on the microwave above. So, I call the Maytag repair man again.

When he returns, he once again pulls the stove out, takes the electronic component out and says, "uh huh".

"Uh huh"? I repeat."Uh huh".

"Seems like you need a compressor to control the power surges that go through the unit".

"You didn't know this before"?

"Well it's hard to tell".

He's tapping on his laptop computer and says, "I'm ordering a new unit and a compressor to attach to it. Call and set up an appointment when it comes".

A week later the parts have arrived. The Maytag repair man arrives at the house at 10 a.m. on Friday morning. I give him the two packages with the parts. He pulls the stove out from the wall, removes the electronic component from the stove, and installs the new one and adds the compressor.

"Okay, you're all set".

"Are you sure"?

"Absolutely"!

Off he goes. That was Friday and today is Sunday. I baked cookies on Friday night and so far so good.

I guess I'm just one lucky gal. How many people ever get the chance to meet the Maytag repair man just once, never mind having him come to their house three times in one month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stoves have power surges?!
Lord have mercy,I am so out of it.

Juneteenth Wildflower