About Me

My photo
Most of us are observers, I choose to write about what I see.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael

I've been watching the Michael Jackson memorial service on television today. I don't usually indulge in these mass happenings, but Michael Jackson, the icon of pop culture throughout the world, will surely be missed for the larger than life talent that he was.

I often think about people who possess great talent. In many ways we expect them to be like the guy or girl next door. How can that be? If you are such a genius in one special area, how can anyone expect you to conform to any ordinary way of thinking, or life. Michael Jackson was a great musical talent, I know that. He was said to be a great humanitarian, I believe that. He was said to be very sensitive, I believe that. He also seemed to be a person who suffered, it looked like it to me, and probably was true.

Michael's death was a very public event. Should death be so public? Even when you are known the workd over? I can only think of the tabloid photo of the dying Michael. Did we need that?

In the end, the thing that matters most to Michael's family is that they lost their son, brother, father, uncle.

Young Paris Jackson, tearfully speaking publicly for what was probably the first time in her ever-so sheltered life, said, "Ever since I was born,Daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine. I just want to say, I love him so much".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do we hold both the talented and humanitarian side of Micheal with his darker side as a probable child abuser? How as African Americans can we celebrate the life of one who did't want to look like a Black man or produce black children?
I love MJ however, can I hold all the MJs as one. VDW