About Me

My photo
Most of us are observers, I choose to write about what I see.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

When All Was Well

When I was about seven years old, every evening mom fed us dinner, marshalled four girls into the bath, dressed us in our jammies, and then allowed us to watch television until bed time.

Back then there was one television in the house and all four of us kids sat on the sofa in our footed-cotton-waffled pajamas and watched television together. My youngest sister, then a thumb-sucking toddler, always sat to my left, sucking her thumb and her other tiny hand, thumb and forefinger, gently stroking my earlobe.

The Flintstones and the Dick Van Dyke show were our favorites. But no evening was complete without watching the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite. Now as children, we had no interest in current events and the news, but watching the news and being together on the sofa was part of the wind-down time that closed our day.

We were fairly well-behaved children. We needed the structure and embraced the routine. So when Walter Cronkite gave his inevitable sign-off; "So that's the way it is......"; it was official, another day had ended, and it was time to go to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Blue Roses,
How many names do you have? I enjoyed your article about Walter and four well-behaved girls.
Have you published your work? We must remember that Walter was not a friend to women reporters. For him, the news was a man's job. vdw